Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Inspiration Constipation

The remake of "A Nightmare on Elm Street". I saw it this evening. I haven't seen the original so I can't compare, but this movie just wasn't very good. Things were either overly explained, or didn't make any sense.

But, I was inspired.

The idea of dreams and how they can influence our "awake" life was a very interesting idea to me. As I was leaving Rave Motion Pictures and walking through an empty Town Square I could hear the distant noises of bars and lounges. The dim lights of closed stores. The emptiness of it all. I thought, "Hey, I can come up with a script about this."


Then I realized I couldn't. Or maybe I didn't want to put the effort into it.

For me, writing is the hardest part of the film making process because there is nothing to build on. It's blank paper. I talk to friends who say they are working on a few scripts at the same time. I work so hard on one, I can't imagine writing more at the same time. When I don't focus on one project I write "ideas" of another (i.e. during my most recent short I thought of an idea of a sexy woman saving an old man as from a group of teenagers in a parking garage...trust me, you don't have to say anything) But those ideas are ones that I can't think of ways to develop, and henceforth, can't become a real story.

What my ideas consist of are, what I consider "cool" visuals (see above?). Then, I try to fool myself into thinking, "That will be enough". When I know it's not. If I wanted to shoot pieces for a reel then I would shoot those ideas and not a complete short. But I want story cohesion, an arc. You can't get that from what I got.

Even though I can't cover that white page with a story. Once one is written, I know how to enhance it, fix it, change it, so that it can become a movie. Or I know how to listen to those around me to enhance it, fix it, change it.

So while I want to film a character walking around a desolate Town Square at night and contrasting that with the same shot only during the day and surrounded by people, and then cutting between the two - it's not a short. I can ask a writer to develop that with me, but that alone cannot a film make. (Yoda!)

I questioned what I wanted to do in the industry for awhile. But I know I want to be a Producer. The person who can bring those people together that you know can make a script you love come to life, and be better than you ever imagined. Honestly, who's to say where I'll be in ten years from now, or even a year from now. But I have a goal. It's when I have these visual inspirations that influence my film making I realize that I can't do it alone.

And that is amazing.

(In reading this over, I realized how much this sounded like damn narrative letter for grad school. Not my intent.)

MUSIC

Thought I could start sharing some music that I find inspirational-slash-cool.


First up is a track from "Angels in America" by Thomas Newman. (No, I haven't seen the mini-series, sorry.) It features Newman's warm tones and almost mimics the waves that hit the namesake of the cue. Ironically, if I wrote more, I would always use Newman as inspiration.



Second is from the composer of the "Nightmare" remake, Steve Jablonsky. It's from Gears of War 2 VG, and I just want to kick ass when I hear this track. I love that the cue switches from a march to a battle, all within 4 minutes.



And finally for our dance/electronica peeps (sorry) we have a song that I have been listening to pretty much everyday this week. It's from P. Diddy's new project Dirty Money . I first heard the song when I saw the awful Hype Williams directed video. I thought it was cool enough, then I found this fantastic remix.



It's Wednesday. Enjoy.

- Devon

3 comments:

Tony Clifford said...

Devon you'd make an awesome producer. And if producing doesn't work out for you be an agent!

And yes working on a bunch of scripts at the same time absolutely sucks...but it also helps take my mind off of the others so i never overanalyz one script.

Andrea Walter said...

DEVOOOOOO!!!

Don't be so down on yourself. Even though you think you can't write, just do it! See what comes out of it. Even if it turns into a 1 page short. It might be the best micro short ever written. It might be the beginning to a feature later down the road.

Either way, you are one of the best upcoming producers I know. You know how to fix anything I write, you know whether its worth filming. And you know how to make it happen.

Best part of this blog other than that Newman song?

"(In reading this over, I realized how much this sounded like damn narrative letter for grad school. Not my intent.)"

I love you devo

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/archives/devo2.jpg

hahahaha

Erika said...

So I didn't listen to the music yet because the house is quiet and I don't want to interrupt that. But I liked your little article. I feel the same way. I can't write more than one script at a time, though Jon's working on like four ideas right now. And it takes me forever to come up with a concept because I basically go with like a moment... my mind goes exactly like yours... like I'm writing a vignette or something. But I think the cool thing is when you get a story and though it may take some thought to get it where it needs to be, it kind of writes itself, you know. And PS. You would be a really good producer!